this is a coconut shell, and i am it's frog

Monday, January 30, 2006
happy cny!
The lunar new year is here again, giving us license to participate in uncontrolled eating and groans of misery as we lose our angpow money to our relatives and friends.

Ah! The spirit of CNY. To all my yellow-skinned homies from the motherland out there, gong hei fatt choy!!!

I've always been a lousy gambler. I remember once in KKB (that's kuala kubu bahru) while doing a short posting there, a few of us played a friendly game of in-between. To the uninformed, in-between is probably the simplest of gambling games there is, involving just 3 cards a person. The object of the game is to get a card whose face value is somewhere in between your first 2 cards. Hence the name in-between. Duh. If your 3rd card IS in between, you get to take however much money from the pot you called. If it's not, you put in the amount you wanted to take. IF your 3rd card "chong-tiang" (that's hit the post), you put in double the amount you called.

Simple, eh?

Most probably invented by a brilliant god-of-gamblers style chow yun fatt look alike, or by a group of really bored people (not unlike us) looking for something to do whilst waiting for the bus. Curse Malaysian public transport! Anyhoo, it's now the most inane, skill-less, luck-dependant game there is.

Back to KKB. There we were, the 4 of us, all poor medical students. So we started with the modest bet of a 50-sen buy in. The starting pot was therefore a measly 2 bucks. Not even enough for a ramli burger. BUT, by a wicked combination of sheer bad luck, bad judgement and just plain stupidity, the pot swelled to a whopping 50 bucks. Ay, from just 50 sen a person. You could smeeeelllll the tension in the air. Cold sweat trickled down our foreheads. Sympathetic neurons going off in rapid-fire. BP > 180/120. Heart rate > 120.

My next two cards were an ace and a king. 1 to 13. The biggest gap possible. Feigning calmness, i flashed my opponents the sort of smile a shark would give to a guppy moments before devouring it.

"I'll take ALL," I said, my steady voice not betraying the fact that I was close to wetting my pants.

And would you believe it, the card I got was an ACE. CHONG TIANG. WHAT THE *expletive deleted* I had to add a hundred bucks to the pot.

I wet my pants.

A collective whoop celebrating my sheer, complete, total and utter bad luck went up from my friends. Greedy buggers.

However, in the true spirit of friendship, what happened was I took all the cash but bought them dinner that night. After cleaning my soiled shorts.

I then swore to myself that I'd never gamble again. Which goes to show that I'm a bad swearer too. Cause not 6 months down the road, I lost a similar sum of cash at Genting. sigh. But that's another story.

oh. I didn't wet my pants by the way. Literary license eh.

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!!!!!!!
posted by theycallmecruel @ 10:41 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

wheeeeeeeeeee

Templates by
Blogger Templates