this is a coconut shell, and i am it's frog

Wednesday, March 22, 2006
Black people can run
Black people can run. No, really, they can. And I mean really run. Like, really really really run. I've always wondered why that by just being black, it meant that you can either run or sing the bejeezes out of anyone else. Or play basketball, but that's another matter.

Back to running.

I was watching the women's 3000m steeplechase final in the Commonwealth games. Is that how you spell Commonwealth? Well since I've spelt it that way, that's the way it is now. And guess what? A black woman from Uganda won. Big surprise, woo hoo. Rewind a little bit.
There was about 1km left in the run, there was this sole Aussie woman who was keeping pace with her, with the rest of the chasing pack a good 50m behind already. Being in Melbourne, the crowd was going wild.

"AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI! OI! OI!"
Ever heard that cheer? Freaking irritating. Sorry my friends down under, it just is! Speaking of down under, how does it feel to be constantly referred to as "being down under"? I mean, don't people usually use that term to mean being sick or feeling bad? And doesn't mean usually mean that you're not a nice person? English is funny. So does being in OZ naturally mean you'll develop a mean mood or fall sick constantly? Looking at Tim, I'd say the former is true. Owright enough about da engrand.

But yeah, the crowd was going wild as the Aussie runner kept pace with ms Ugandian. Effort and strain and concentration was etched all over her face. The Ugandian looked like she couldn't be bothered. Suddenly, in the last 500m, the Ugandian just went into overdrive. As if she just decided to stop giving the Aussie any hope, as if she decided to stop fooling around with the runner and her home crowd support. She was like a car on NOS. She finished a good 50-60 metres ahead of the Aussie. And what does she do once she's won?

She gets on her knees, says a prayer, and does another few laps.
?????
Didn't she just run 3 kilometres? Wahlaoeh. All the runners who came in after her either doubled over, sat down or collapsed to the ground, chest heaving, faces painted with the sorrow of defeat and the distress of keeping up with a black woman. And then they see this Ugandian running a few more laps just for fun. Probably to mock them as well. If I were one of those runners, I'd quit right there and then. Explains why I'll never be there.

While we're on the topic of Ugandians, I heard this joke once.

Idi Amin (cruel dictator of Uganda at the time) was having a conference with his generals.
"I am going to declare that from this day forth, Uganda will be known as Uganda Idi. Any protests?"
This being a dictatorship, the generals broke forth into applause and congratulated Idi Amin on his brilliant idea, saying that he deserved it anyway. All except one.
"What's your problem?" Idi Amin said, indicating the one general that wasn't sucking up to him.
"Well..." he began, "The people of Cyprus are known as Cypriots..."

geddit geddit? HAHAHA I laughed my jaws loose and my buccinators cramped when I did. To not spoil it for you, I'll leave you to figure that one out yerselves. hoHO.

Oh, and Carrie? I hate you. Bugger.
posted by theycallmecruel @ 5:26 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

wheeeeeeeeeee

Templates by
Blogger Templates