this is a coconut shell, and i am it's frog

Friday, April 28, 2006
A few things to get off my chest... and USMLE and I the sequel
Has anyone read the what Pas Rantau Panjang MP Abdul Fatah Harun said the other day? Oh my dear and they wonder why westerners laugh at us sometimes. The most absolutely ridiculous statement issued from this man's mouth.

He said:
"Most of these divorced women go to parties and are gatal. It is quite obvious why they ended up divorced or why their husbands left them. They are gatal"

"We must analyse if divorces are due to the men or the women. Divorced women are easily spotted at functions through their gatal behaviour.

"It is as if they do not regret that they have been divorced. Women who are widowed do not behave in a flirtatious manner. They are sad and quiet"

Adjectives fail me. How can anyone, much less a representitive of the rakyat make such an idiotically insensitive male chauvinistic remark? If I had any control of this country (and it's probably a very good thing that I don't. Very.) I'd sack him on the spot. Wasn't this country built on tolerance, understanding and knowing when to hold our tongues? Anyone with such a narrow minded, self righteous, condescending view of himself should not be in any position of authority. We need leaders that we can respect, not ones who make utter fools of themselves, projecting an extremely backward view of the country to those on the outside.

The matter is further complicated by the global world-view at this point that is so warily suspicious (and rightly so, if you ask me) of Muslim countries. Statements such as these serve only to cement the image of us that they have in their heads. Images of big-bearded, white-robed, bomb-making men claiming on the one hand that God is great and merciful and killing his fellow man with the other. Images of women-beating, one-tracked idiotic PIGS for lack of a better word.

Naturally, women's aid groups and the women's branch of the government reacted violently. And very much rightly so. Remove this joker from the government, PLEASE.
Read more here. Take the time. It's worth the read, if for nothing more than to see how childish some men can be. Sighz.

Now that that's off my chest... Grace's blog is back! Link is up on my sidebar. Story's hers to tell. hOho.

And the ECFMG have FINALLY got back to me. I think they musta read the rant on my blog, cause the letter arrived a few days after I wrote that entry. What they basically said was,
"The ECFMG handles applications from medical students/graduates from outside of North America. Since you are currently enrolled and have a place in Dalhousie University, Canada, we cannot process your application. Please write to the so-and-so board at so-and-so address to apply from Canada"

Well I suppose it was my mistake that I failed to mention that I was a good 6 months away from starting in Dalhousie at the time of my application... but anywayz. I shall be sitting for it in the near future, methinks, and this time, I'll remember to write to the right examination board. I hope.
posted by theycallmecruel @ 9:28 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

wheeeeeeeeeee

Templates by
Blogger Templates