this is a coconut shell, and i am it's frog

Saturday, July 22, 2006
Rheumatology
Rheumatology. What an amazingly boring speciality. I've been stuck in it for a good three weeks now, and though I started out with the most bubbly enthusiasm, it seems that the bubbles have all popped and the murky bathwater's showing through right now.

Day 1.
Arrived, wait for it... wait for it... EARLY. oh my dear what has happened to me. For the whole of week one I was at the clinic on time, if not early, and stayed even when I didn't have to. yep me<----geek. I was the model student. The personification of feigned academic enthusiasm. At the end of day one, I could see myself, white coat, stethoscope, tendon hammer in hand, 5 years down the road, being viewed as the perennial sober no-nonsense, RESPECT ME, fun-is-for-teenagers doctor. And I loved it. Loved every single moment at clinic. Loved the puzzles of reaching a diagnosis. Loved the sight of patient's gratitude as their conditions improved. I told myself, "I AM going to be a doctor". I couldn't wait for more to learn, I was thirsty for knowledge, for mental stimulation, to hit my books when I got back home.
The weight of realisation that soon, I will wield the power of life and death in my hands, had begun to sink in. Wong Wei Jin, MD.


Day 21.
I've skived over a clinic and 2 teaching sessions.


urkz
posted by theycallmecruel @ 12:52 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

wheeeeeeeeeee

Templates by
Blogger Templates